Saturday, August 2, 2014

Three Things You Can't Go Without

Un-journal Prompt 5
Continuing with the series of Un-journaling prompts, here's my response to an intriguing one. Feel free to post yours below. The Un-journal prompt was "Three Things You Can't Go Without."

Three things I can't go without: Food. Water. Shelter.



After the big three, there are truly few things I could live without.



People come and go in our lives, friends, family members, lovers, co-workers. Possessions are fleeting – or in the case of hoarders, overwhelming – and are, after all, just things. Even things with significant monetary value are still just things. You can’t take them with you when you die. Although plenty of kings and emperors and pharaohs have tried to do just that as they headed into the afterlife surrounded by jewels, wine, servants and the trappings of their power.



As for the trappings of modern life, there are certainly things that I wonder how I managed before they existed. Among them:



·        The microwave. My oven is essentially a place where I store the baking pans and trays that I don’t use.



·        My mobile phone. I do just about everything on it: banking, bills, play, reading, emails, etc. Oh, yeah, and phone calls – which is actually the least of what I do with it.



·        Post-it notes. God bless the 3M scientist who accidentally invented them!


No comments:

Post a Comment